2/01/2009

Caravan - If I Could Do It All Over Again...(1970) (2001)

Caravan - If I Could Do It All Over Again...(1970) (2001)

Caravan followed up their eponymous debut with the cryptically titled If I Could Do It All Over Again I'd Do It All Over You in the fall of 1970. If I Could Do It All Over Again contains significant progressions over the first album. These include the intricacy with which compositions are sculpted around some of the finest instrumental improvisation in British rock at the time -- or arguably since. Caravan's uncanny ability to create a montage that effortlessly maneuvers through acoustic folk and electric progressive rock is best exemplified on the "With an Ear to the Ground" suite. The extended instrumental passages weave in and out of each other, creating a hypnotic and otherwise psychedelic soundscape that would become a trademark of the European progressive rock movement. Another epic, "For Richard," quickly found solid standing as the Caravan live performance-closer for decades after first appearing on this album. Juxtaposed against these pieces are several shorter works, which in essence clear the palette for the longer ones. The title track as well as "Hello, Hello" are perfect examples of how Caravan was able to one-up many of its progressive contemporaries, creating shorter and more accessible songs for radio airplay -- resulting in a guest appearance on BBC TV's Top of the Pops program,..L. Planer

The Japanese reissue offers seven bonus tracks: unreleased versions of "A Day in the Life of Maurice Haylett," "For Richard," "Warlock," and "Limits," and demos of "As I Feel I Die," "Clipping the 8th (Hello Hello)," and "Why? (And I Wish I Were Stoned).

320 @
108 MB

Tracklist:

01 If I Could Do It All over Again, I'd Do It All over You 3:07
02 And I Wish I Were Stoned/Don't Worry 8:20
03 As I Feel I Die 5:06
04 With an Ear to the Ground You Can Make It/Martinian/Only Cox/Reprise 9:54
05 Hello, Hello 3:45
06 Asforteri 1:21
07 Can't Be Long Now/Francoise/For Richard/Warlock 14:21
08 Limits 1:35

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks Samantha (as always) /bon